Like everything in the 21st Century, it is inevitable to change. As technology continues to evolve and develop, so will the way we learn and receive our education. Educators have had their worries that AI would one day take over the jobs and duties of humans. Teachers’ jobs are not at risk of being replaced by robots - While AI programs can teach mathematics and languages, the more complex and natural part between human interaction at a social and emotion level can only be fully comprehended by humans.
How AI is currently being Implemented in Education
- Personalised LearningPersonalised Learning with a group of 5 students is challenging enough, let alone a class with over 30 students. AI makes Personalised Learning with large groups of students possible by providing differentiation that customises learning specifically to a student’s strengths and weaknesses
- Teachers AssistanceA Teachers job is more than delivering a set of knowledge and giving out grades. A Teacher needs to spend a significant amount of time in doing tedious work like Grading assignments and preparing homework sets. Tasks like marking tests and grading assignments can easily done by AI with an even higher accuracy - As of today AI is frequently being used for the grading of multiple choice questions, and is starting to be tested for Handwritten assessments.
- Connecting Students and TeachersLike Social Media, AI can allow teachers and students to connect with each other in different classrooms around the world, allowing the exchange of knowledge, cooperation and collaboration amongst different schools and classrooms.
Examples of AI in Education
- Smart ContentThere are technologies that attempt to condense long passages of texts (like Textbooks) into a concise form of information which can be used for exam preparations such as True or False Questions.
- Intelligent Tutoring Systems (ITS)ITS holds the potential to help shape a next generation of more personalised learning and responsive teaching, catering the specific needs of students as individuals and not a class.
- Virtual Facilitators and Learning EnvironmentsVirtual human guides and facilitators can help monitor a class of students under various circumstances, including educational and therapeutic environments.
AI in the future
The World Economic Forum estimates that by 2022, there will be a large portion of companies that have already adopted technological advancements like Machine Learning and AI. Therefore, to prepare our students for the workforce, it is important to raise awareness to students in both STEM Education and development in non-cognitive skills. Allowing students to work alongside AI in education will ultimately prepare them for the future.